Cary Presbyterian Church (CPC) is a congregation of the Presbyterian Church (USA). In 1954, a Synod survey indicated the need for a Presbyterian Church in the small town of Cary, and a steering committee was formed under the direction of the Rev. E.L. Barber, Executive Secretary of the Granville Presbytery. The first worship service was held on September 5, 1954, at Cary High School (now the Cary Arts Center). In early 1955, ten acres of land in Russell Hills were purchased, with a groundbreaking ceremony for the new sanctuary in late 1955. The first worship service in the new church sanctuary was held on September 9, 1956. Sixty-seven members signed the charter roll.
The Rev. Charles E. Johnson Jr. was called as the first Pastor. He served until 1957 when he resigned to become the Presbyterian Chaplain at Duke University. He was succeeded in 1958 by the Rev. James W. McGinnis who served until 1966, followed by the Rev. Ralph C. Teasly, Sr. who served from 1967 to 1978. In 1979, the congregation called the Rev. J. David Wiseman and he was our pastor for 26 years, retiring in 2004. Rev. Dr. D. Kyle Allen was called as the newest pastor of CPC and began serving CPC in 2006 through July of 2017.